Friday, August 07, 2009

I become a laughing stock

As is my wont, I strolled liesurely power walked into town earlier, about 10.45. I was only gone a couple of hours and on returning I happened to glance in through the driver's window of my car as I passed by on the drive. There was stuff on the passenger seat. Lots of it. And a bit more stuff on the drivers seat, too. I went to open the door; it was already open and not on the latch either. I had been the victim of an attempted burglary.

I say attempted as there was no sign of forced entry so I'm guessing I must have left the door unlocked when I got back from my walk along the Trent and Mersey canal through Middlewich yesterday afternoon. There did not appear to be anything missing. The fact that the door was actually open suggests an opportunist who was probably in and out in a few seconds or surprised in the act by a passer-by. Ironically, as I left earlier I'd noticed the van owned by the maintenance company my housing association uses parked next door, unattended, with its sliding side door wide open, a range of power tools within easy reach. It was still there on my return. Modern thieves are as thick as shit.

I have been the victim of burglary, of both vehicle and domestic kinds, before. It's not a pleasant feeling, especially when nothing's been nicked and all you've suffered is wanton vandalism. My previous car was broken into twice and both times a window was smashed causing me to lose some NCD even though nothing was actually taken. It's the buggeration factor of having to get repairs done and make a claim that annoys me more than anything. At least this time I don't need to make a claim.

The only feeling I've got this time is one of mild embarrassment and I hope the little felon is nobody known to me otherwise he might point and laugh. My car is eleven years old and I've had it all bar 5000 miles of its life. It's part of me near enough and it's almost my own personal museum. I lived in it for several days once, it's home. There were bits of old personal ephemera and effects hauled unceremoniously out of the glove box and spread onto the seat: old bits of printout with maps on; the manual and handbook; my old spare clip-on tie I wore as part of my uniform; some directions with a little billet-doux sign-off my ex-wife sent to me to get to the holiday home she and the kids were already at - our last holiday as a family unit and the one during which I decided to leave; a pair of surgical shears I bought at a boot market and which I use for fishing; a pad of now useless concessionary disabled driver tickets I used to give out as an employee of the world's most popular tolled river crossing (what were rather disingenuously called "cripple tickets". Weren't they, Andy); a pair of pliers and a tyre pressure tester (I haven't checked to see if my torch is missing - I have "a thing" about torches, I don't know why. The provision of artificial light to a small area giving a sense of immediate security and comfort perhaps? Anyway, I'll always accept and appreciate a torch as a gift). The ashtray had been removed, presumably to look for the stash of hobby medicinals I do not use or the emergency tenner I can't afford.

What was most embarrassing though was that he would have seen I still have the factory-fitted entertainment system. It's not even a CD player, let alone a Bluetooth enabled iPod friendly radio, it's a radio-cassette player. With "Rover" on and the same cassette that's been in it for about 7 years (Rory Gallagher, Live in Europe if you must). He probably picked up a cassette and wondered what on earth it was. At least he I didn't take the Postman Pat one that's been in the car since my children were infants and which I can't bear to throw away. No taste.

12 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

Could have been worse - he might have left you a couple of extra Rory Gallagher tapes.


Yes, yes, cheap shot, but I couldn't resist it.

8:34 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

I feel your pain.

6:36 am  
Blogger Richard said...

Vicus, he could have really rubbed it in and given me a couple of his grandad's old Grateful Dead ones. Cheaper and you asked for it.

Dave, thank you. I know who I can count on for sympathy.

10:32 am  
Blogger Rol said...

I almost feel sorry for the thief.

3:30 pm  
Blogger Andy said...

Don't need the clip on tie either now! Ever thought of coming back.You would enjoy it more then ever now!!

5:52 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

No ties? Standards have definitely slipped. I have occasionally thought of going back. I've occasionally also thought of suffering a violent death and the smell of sewage from the overflowing drain down the road here. Often all at the same time.

10:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
Thank you and good luck.
car wreckers sydney
car removal toowoomba

6:13 am  
Blogger Delight Car Removal said...

Thanks for sharing. Wow, that was strange. I just wrote a really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well, I'm not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
cash for cars brisbane
cash for cars beenleigh

6:41 am  
Blogger Max Cash For Cars said...

Thanks for sharing. We pay our customers instant cash up to $9,999 without any waiting time. It is our policy to not let customers wait for their money. We also provide free towing services, so customers save even more money when dealing with us. This strategy has been a great success with our customers in Queensland. Through this, we gained a lot of goodwill from our customers.
cash for cars gold coast
car for cash logan

7:26 am  
Blogger Best Cash For Cars Brisbane said...

Thank you very much for giving this useful information. I searched for this information for a long time but was unable to locate a reliable source. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into writing this fantastic essay. Here, I've learned a lot of useful information. It's well worth bookmarking for future reference. A reputable website for cash for cars Caboolture and free car removals Brisbane services can be found here.

12:51 am  
Blogger cashforcarsadelaide said...

This is an excellent article. I'm overjoyed to have discovered it. Thank you for providing this information. It's a fascinating read. Here are a few websites in Adelaide, SA that provide dependable and honest Cash for Cars Adelaide and Car Wreckers Adelaide services. If you have an old or undesirable car that you are unable to sell privately due to its need for repairs, this cash for car buying and removal service may be of great assistance to you. Please have a look! Thank you very much!

2:51 am  
Blogger A1 Auto Removals said...

The information you provided on this website is quite helpful. Keep up the wonderful work, and may God bless you. Check out the Cash for Cars Adelaide and Car Removals Adelaide services if you need to get rid of an old, trash, or unwanted vehicle while also earning some cash.

6:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home